It's alive! May patch has been applied on consoles and PC alike and here's the content of it. And to make reading a bit more enjoyable for you we asked couple of our dedicated members for their comment on some of the changes.
- Completed match of Operations will loop back to the same Operation rather than exiting the mode. However, you’ll be on the opposite side of the battlefield. For example, if you started as the French Army in the first Operation, you’ll be on the German side when it loops back after the “End of Operation” screen.
- Active until EA PLAY
Map and Modes
- Fixed a Spectator Mode bug where the first-person camera could become stuck during the Pigeon Carrier Artillery camera sequence on the Assault Tank.
- Changed ticket count for Domination to 200 from 100.
- Fixed missing game mode description for Operations.
- Tweaked scoring values for capturing flags in Conquest. Capturing gives less score now, however more capture ticks have been added and the team controlling more than 3 flags than the other team will be awarded Conquest Control bonuses.
- Decreased the percentage of contribution to flag capture/neutralize from 50% to 30%.
A problem that has plagued Battlefield 1 is the lack of incentive to defend an objective, with the real points laying on the horizon and the next capture flag. Now, with less points given and awarded more slowly, there is a higher incentive to HOLD flags for your team, as when you do this, 3 flags to be precise, you will be granted Conquest Control bonuses. This was a much needed, and cleverly implemented change that will add (hopefully) far more tactical attacks and defenses of points making the game less about taking flag after flag after flat, and attempting to actually control and hold points.
- Added “Join Any Operation” button to main Operations screen. Will start a matchmaking session to join any available operation at any size (40 or 64).
Hallelujah!! It's about time. Operations is arguably the best thing about Battlefield 1 and the most frustrating to play due to server player numbers. It's been a problem on console, but on PC it's been an awkward and very annoying joke almost fading away to nothing. Any change that helps to bring Operations to the forefront of this games multiplayer experience is a fantastic thing, and I hope they continue to work on features like this.
- Spectator camera no longer missing from the map on Frontlines, Verdun, and Soissons.
- Tweaked self-repair for A7V, FT17, St. Chamond, and Pierce Arrow.
- Reduced health gained per self-repair cycle from 320 to 200.
- Reduced time taken to complete a self-repair cycle from 8s to 5s.
- This makes these vehicles' self-repair equivalent to the self-repair of the MkV Landship.
- Doubled the health of Field Gun and Stationary AA. Made Field Gun and Stationary AA repairable. Field Gun and Stationary AA will now enter a disabled state at 50% health where they become unusable. To use the weapons again they must be repaired back to 100% with the repair tool.
Another key change brought by DICE includes the non destructible stationary weapons which is key for infantry vs vehicles especially against planes, they would roam the sky with no danger and bomb all they want comfortable in knowing that the AA guns are destroyed and there is no way of them going down, this is going ti help infantry and challenge pilots enabling a more balanced Battlefield experience.
It may have been a bit too much buffing but gladly you can still kill the guy shooting in stationary. Time will tell if it was way too much.
We can repair damaged field guns and AA turrets! This is a great thing as these were being sidelined and often neglected, perhaps only ever used against a behemoth, or a pesky pilot. Now they become more relevant and versatile and the tweak to the AA guns shell flight means we should be able to better attack planes at higher altitudes, so yet again more smiles from me!
- Increased time that the shell camera is active on the MkV mortar landship from 3.5s to 4.5s. This better suits the increased flight time of the new heavy shell.
- Changed how max range for AA is applied. Max range now varies depending on the pitch of the gun. Shells can travel a maximum horizontal distance of 300m, and a maximum vertical distance of 450m. This applies to both the stationary AA and the AA truck. Previously AA shells timed out at the same max distance from the gun regardless of direction, resulting in a roughly spherical volume covered by the gun. This means horizontal range was as large as the max height the shells could reach, and that at very high altitudes the AA could cover very little area, even if its range was technically large. The new AA shells will have slightly less horizontal range than before at low altitudes, but they will retain that range all the way to the flight ceiling. This will make AA much more effective against high altitude aircraft without making it able to reach distant, low flying ones as well.
- Increased field gun damage against light vehicles. Armored cars will no longer take less damage than light tanks from field gun hits.
- Extended Fighter and Attack Plane elevator flap scaling curves to better cover the entire speed range.
- Reduced cooldown of speed boost ability from 30s to 15s for both the Dogfighter and Airship Buster Attack Plane.
- Set up rear view on all planes: Albatros, Fokker, Spad, Sopwith, Rumpler, Halberstadt, Salmson, Bristol, Gotha, Caproni. To activate: Hold freelook while in third person to use rear view.
- Added rear firing Tankgewehr as driver secondary weapon for the Tank Hunter Landship Variant.
- Enabled driving and third person camera while using driver rear guns in the Squad Support and Tank Hunter Landships.
- Improved MkV Mortar Landship Variant Changed secondary mortar shell from airburst mortar to heavy mortar. Heavy mortar does much more damage and is effective against both infantry and vehicles, but has a much longer reload.
- Replaced alternate smoke and gas mortar shells with track repair and vehicle smoke equipment. These changes should make the mortar Landship more viable as a combat vehicle, rather than sitting in mortar stance in the backline.
- Fixed a bug with third person aiming on vehicles that caused a bullet to not fire in the correct direction when aiming at a soldiers head while they are on a horse.
Attack Plane Changes
- Retuned attack plane elevator flap scaling curve. Attack Plane turning will now be much closer to that of Fighters, but still slightly worse.
Improved Underused Attack Plane Variants:
- Increased damage of the Airship Buster variant's primary MG from 32 to 40. This puts its AA DPS on par with Fighter MGs.
- With its speed boost active, the new flap scaling curves will allow this variant to achieve a higher turn rate than the Fighter for a short time. The reduced cooldown on speed boost will allow this advantage to be used more often.
- Together these changes should make the Airship Buster more competitive with Fighters in its air to air role.
- Increased velocity of tank hunter 37mm from 222m/s to 267m/s and reduced drag from 0.005 to 0.003. These changes should make the 37mm slightly easier to land hits with, especially against moving or distant targets.
Changes to Fighter Plane variants
- Added new secondary weapon, Incendiary Ammo. Incendiary Ammo does greatly increased damage to plane parts, allowing the dogfighter to quickly cripple an enemy plane by breaking a wing.
- Changed active ability from emergency repair to speed boost.
- Changed active ability from speed boost to emergency repair.
- Swapping speed boost and emergency repair on the Dogfighter and Bomber Killer should help both variants in their respective roles. Speed boost gives the Dogfighter a maneuverability edge over the other Fighter variants, and emergency repair gives the Bomber Killer a better chance of surviving tail gun fire from Bombers and Attack Planes.
Changes to FT(light tank) Packages:
Close Support Tank:
- Increased 37mm HE ammo from 4 to 5.
- Replaced Secondary Case shell with Coaxial LMG. These changes should help this tank better fulfill its general purpose role.
- Increased reload time on the autocannon from 2.5s to 3.75s.
- Increased HE autocannon direct damage from 15-10.5 to 17.5-12.5.
- This results in a 20% reduction in cannon uptime. The direct damage increase will offset the lower uptime against vehicles when targeting vehicles. These changes should make the Flanker slightly less effective against infantry.
- Corrected primary weapon to HMG as shown in customization, this was actually LMG. The more powerful HMG should help offset its limited firing arc when compared to the Coaxial LMG of the Close Support Variant.
- Changed driver secondary weapon from case shell to flamethrower on the A7V Flame Tank Variant. This change will reinforce this variant's role as a close range tank.
- Added third person freelook to the FT Howitzer Variant. Missed this one with the other tanks because the normal version has a turret that can rotate 360 anyway.
Weapons & Gadgets:
- Fixed bug where Bipod Audio could persist when switching to secondary weapon.
- Tweaked criteria for cross-class medal to require single shot rifles.
- Added UI for grenade resupply.
- Reduced the occluder size for the scope glint from 0.25m to 0.15m to hide it behind walls better.
Changes to bayonet charge:
- Activated aiming speed modifier during prepare state as well as charge state. This means a player can rotate a maximum of 50 degrees during the prepare state. Also added an input modifier disabling strafe while charging.
- Adding subtle boost to third person footsteps when bayonet charging to increase threat awareness. Boosted volume of Enemy VO for Bayonet Charge when close to player.
- Slightly reduced maximum turn rate while charging.
- Removed damage reduction while in charge. Weapons will now hit charging players for normal damage.
This is something me and the majority of players looked forward to, it was getting out of hand, get a killstreak? Bam! bayonet ends it, turn around a corner? Forget it, Bam! bayonet charge, it was the most annoying way to die because sometimes the person would turn 180 kill you then T-bag, not cool, and I'm glad that DICE listened to community feedback and nerfed the bayonet charge.
Bayonet charge nerf is for good in my opinion. Never liked it coming to Battlefield 1 as a new thing.
I know a lot of people that will be disappointed by the bayonet charge changes, I however am not disappointed, I am elated. First and foremost for me, the removal of damage reduction while an enemy is charging is greatly welcomed, I can't tell you how many times I've emptied a clip into a charging foe, only for him to gore me to death, now I have a fighting chance. Also, the changes to maximum rotation while preparing and charging, should help to stop the annoying "charge past an opponent like a bull passes a toreador" moment!
- Added a camera shake advanced gameplay option to adjust the amount of camera shake caused by explosions, etc.
Camera shake setting is also good since the shaking disturbs gameplay.
It's always nice to have extra control over how you want to experience any game, this change however I don't really understand. It basically means someone can turn down the severity of screen shake when an explosion goes off by the player. Now, I never thought this was a problem, as its immersive, but I can see this being turned down to perhaps give an advantage to players who don't want it.
- Added missing spotting animation when spotting a downed allied soldier as a medic with the Medical Syringe.
- Automatically show low on ammo icons on friendly soldiers.
- Players using controllers can now do custom button/stick mappings.
Customizing button layouts is also cool. I like to keep aiming and shooting buttons L1 and R1 instead of L2 and R2.
- Fixed “Select Operation” button not properly appearing when using the joypad or on console.
- Moved ping widget to be below the kill log.
- Fixed an issue in the squad select screen where no squad would be automatically selected for player not part of a squad. The first squad in the list will now be selected by default. Also added support on PC for pressing the space bar to join/leave a squad.
- Fixed issue with the flag icons and world icons ghosting when going in and out of the customize screen from the deploy screen.
- Added ability to disable UGC
- Implemented per region threshold settings for server side hit detection: 130ms for US + Europe, 200ms elsewhere.
- Fixed server side hit registration interpolation.
- Leading shot only necessary by the margin above the threshold, e.g. For US @ 150ms ping, you have to lead by 20ms.
- Fixed latency display for server which is also responsible for decision if to perform client or server side hit registration.
- Fixed input offsets for server side hit registration to match client side.
- Fixed wrong hit indicator display when dying.
Source: Official Battlefield website
And that's pretty much it for this monthly Battlefield 1 update. Did it make you happy? Did it make you mad? Comments are ON! So you can let us know your opinion about the patch.
But now, good luck, have fun and see you on the Battlefield.